Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Here comes the bride…..on a bicycle?


August 19, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,
I hope you are all doing well. This last week was crazy! We had a baptism, wedding, and a general authority come to talk to us.
Last Thursday, Elder Ochoa of the Seventy came and talked to us. We had a special Zone conference in Ceiba. (Ceiba is near the ocean, but unfortunately I didn´t get to go to the beach. Oh well... missionaries can´t play in the ocean anyways.) Elder Ochoa is the former president of the Honduras San Pedro Sula mission. We first had a question and answer session. One of the questions he answered that really helped me is how can you tell if an investigator is ready for baptism. I struggle with this because the people here don´t like telling people no. I think they are afraid of offending people. Elder Ochoa said when an investigator is keeping their commitments is one way to see the fruits of their repentance.
Friday morning we had a wedding. This is my first experience with a wedding in the mission. I would say that 80 to 90 percent of people here in Honduras are not married and because of that often before someone can be baptized they have to be married. On Friday was the wedding of two of our investigators.  As we were heading to city hall for the wedding, Hermana Nunez carried Francis (the bride) on her bicycle. The wedding was a very spiritual experience. I could feel the spirit in their wedding and I believe it was because of the desire of Francis and Jose to change their life from a life of sin to a life of righteousness.
Saturday was the baptism of Francis and Jose. This baptism was very special. I think the best part of the baptism was seeing the change of countenance in the faces of Francis and Jose. Francis had a smile of pure joy when she came out of the font. This is is the best part of missionary work is seeing the pure joy the gospel of Jesus Christ brings to the lives of people.
On Saturday we got the call from our district leader that we are not allowed to use bikes any longer. My companions were disappointed. I wasn´t that disappointed. I prefer walking to using a bike. The reason is -- President Klein read in the manual that missionaries in Central America are not allowed to use bicycle.
Before I end this email I want to share this scripture.
Alma 7:12

And he will take upon him adeath, that he may bloose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccor his people according to their infirmities.
I like this scripture because it talks about  Jesus Christ knowing our infirmities because he took upon Himself our infirmities. I love this because He is merciful towards us because He knows how we feel. I know Jesus Christ is  my Savior.
I hope everyone is doing well. I pray for you.
Love,
Hermana Lindsey Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment