Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7, 2013 - ¨Come unto me my children and I will make you Latinos.¨


Hola Familia y Amigos!
 
I hope everyone is doing well. I will first start off with the bad news. I won't be able to call or skype you on Mothers Day. I was really sad about this but the MTC just doesn't have the resources to let all the missionaries call home. Especially since this MTC has about double the missionaries it had a year ago. So my subject line is a very funny thing that Hermano Solano said to us last week. I think his main goal for us by the end of our missions is to become good missionaries and and to speak Spanish like a Latino. My list of stuff we did this week is as follows
 
1. The Market
Last p-day we had an opportunity to go to the central market. The market is located in the colonial district of the city. That district is very different then where the MTC is located in Guatemala City. The MTC is located in a more modern part of town and the houses surrounding the MTC are more Americanized. The colonial part is the oldest part of time and there is evidence of Spanish architecture in this part of town. We went to this market because it was one of the safest markets in the city. This market had armored guards to protect the patrons. At the entrance of market was a little boy with a huge machete cutting coconuts. The market consisted of two parts. First was the food market. The mission president counseled us not to buy or eat any of the food at the food market for sanitary reasons. But we were allowed to look around. The food market had a lot of fresh fruit and food stands of locals selling food. A couple of Elders bought a coke from one of the vender's. The vendor opened the coke and put in straw in the coke for the Elders. The Elders then were freaking out and thought they would get sick from the straw. Luckily both are well and alive today. The other part of market consisted of arts and crafts. So basically anything you wanted to buy you could find in the arts in crafts section of the market. I only got a small bracelet because I didn't want transfer any more of my American money into quinzales.
 
2. The Map of Guatemala
Last week also on P-day went to a huge 3-D map of Guatemala. This map was built in the early 1900s but they say that the measurements of the map are very precise. While we at the map our Mission President told us some theories about how the Book of Mormon could have taken place in Guatemala.
 
3. Trying to Place a Book of Mormon
So after we went to the central market we went to the central park which has hundreds of pidgeons in the park. My companion, and Hermanas Satterthwaite and McCuistion, and I decided to try to place a Book of Mormon. We only had about five minutes so we approached a lady with a child and her friend. The first thing I noticed as I approached these women is they had Golden crosses embedded into their teeth. We started a friendly conversation with them in them in Spanish and suddenly when we started talking about our religion, they couldn't understand our Spanish.
 
4. Toilet Paper
So when I first got here during orientation they told all of us to flush our toilet paper. I thought this was kind of a weird request because doesn't everyone flush there toilet paper? But then I found out that most places in central America that the plumbing can't handle the toilet paper so instead of flushing the toilet paper they throw away the toilet paper.
 
5. Rolling my r's
I've been really practicing rolling my r's. Hermano Solano gave my a tongue twister to help me roll my r's. I think I getting better.
 
6. Ayer and Meses
The other day I was talking to some of the Latinas here. The asked me how long had I been at the MTC. I said I've been here ''Cinco Meses''. That translates into ''five months''. The word I should have used is semanas. Also in a lesson I recently taught to Hermano Chavez (Brian)  I asked the investigator if they wanted to come to come to church with us yesterday (Ayer) instead of tomorrow (manana). Oh well. I guess I am learning.
 
7. Reading El Liberia de Mormon
So I've started reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish. I'm doing this for two reasons. First I have a testimony of the English Book of Mormon but I believe to be an effect teacher I need a testimony of the Spanish version. Second, I find when I read the Book of Mormon in Spanish I learn a lot of Spanish and I comprehend more things.
 
8. Rain in Guatemala
You haven't seen rain until you see rain in Guatemala! When it is pouring in Utah that is considered a drizzle in Guatemala.
 
Well I hope everyone is doing well. A week from today I'll be heading for Honduras! You are in my prayers!
 
Con Amor!
Hermana Lindsey Orgill


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment