Dear Familia y Amigos! This week has been a very good week. I feel
like that
I´m finally getting used to the MTC. This week I have formed
a top ten list
of items to talk about. 1. A member of the quorum of
the seventy is coming to
speak to us today. I don´t know which quorum
he belongs to. This is big news
because in the past all our
devotionals have been previously recorded
devotionals from the Provo
MTC. I will report more about this next week. 2.
Spanish is coming but
at a slows pace. Sometimes I feel I haven´t progressed
that much at
Spanish but then I look back at how much I have learned in these
few
weeks. I have definitely learned more than I have in 3 years of
high
school Spanish. I can say prayers in Spanish and bear my testimony
in
Spanish. Last week we began giving all of our lessons in total
Spanish.
This week we are not allowed to speak English in class. It is
amazing to see
how much Spanish I can speak when I forced to speak it.
3. I have the best
teachers at the MTC. Hermano Solano is our day
teacher. He was born in
Guatemala but he went to two years of college
in Chicago and somewhere in
Iowa. He served his mission in Ecuador.
The class loves him as a teacher and
he tells us some of the funniest
jokes. Hermano Chavez is our night teacher. He was the person who
pretended
to be our investigator. We learn a lot about how to become
better teachers.
In fact I think I learned more about being a good
teacher at the MTC than I
did at college. 4. I have the best
companion. I´ve told you a little bit
about Hermana Palmer but she is
so great to have as a companion. She helps me
become a better person.
We teach our lessons well as a companionship and she
can always
brighten my mood. 5. I said the prayer in sacrament meeting. I
said
the prayer in Spanish. I believe that was the second time I ever
gave
a prayer in sacrament meeting. They didn´t ask me if I wanted to
give
the prayer they just told me. But fortunately Hermana Palmer is one
of
the coordinating hermanas so she was in the meeting when they
were
planning sacrament meeting. So she warned me that I was going to
give
prayer. So it wasn´t a total shock when they announced my name over
the
pulpit and told me I was going to give a prayer. 6. Big News!
Okay
well this isn´t big news for other missionaries around the world
but
it is big news for missionaries at the Guatemala MTC. We are
now
allowed to email friends and family during email time. Also our
email
time was extended from 30 minutes to 1 whole hour! 7. Last P-day
we
went to a chapel in Guatemala and played games for about two hours.
After that we went to Walmart. The Walmart in Guatemala is kind of
like the
Walmart in the US. Except its kind hard to estimate how much
everything
actually going to cost because of the currency here. The
Guatemala currency
is in Quinzales. I hope I spelled that correctly.
Depending on the day there
is about 7 quinzales to every US dollar.
Its also funny seeing gas prices.
Its like 35 quinzales per liter. I
think they measure their gas in liters.
After we went to Walmart we
went to a very nice mall in Guatemala. Its like
City Creek Mall nice.
I had Wendy's at the mall. It was so good! Also the MTC
paid for my
meal at the mall. Next week we are going to the Guatemalan
markets. I
am exciting. Because of that I don´t know when I will be emailing
you
next week. I know I will be emailing you but I don't know what
day
I´ll get to email you. 8. Each day except Sunday we get to exercise
or
play sports. Our district started playing volleyball. The only
problem
is the ball is kind of flat and hurts like a rock when it hits
the
arms. Some girls had very bad bruising from the ball. I didn't
because
I didn't hit the ball very often. 9. I love Sundays except the
whole
thing about calling missionaries from the audience randomly to
give
talks. One of my favorite parts of Sunday is we get to watch
movies.
Not normal movies but church movies. But I just love watching
movies.
Since I have been here I have watched Legacy, The Testaments,
Joseph
Smith, and the Mountain of the Lord. Sister Nicolaysen
(The
President´s wife) showed apart of the Errand of Angels during Relief
Society. Though that one isn't technically a church movie but it showed
a good
example of how to get a long with your companion. I believe my
favorite movie
we watched was the Joseph Smith movie. I think the last
time I saw it was on
temple square. Its very well done. It also
humbles me as a missionary because
it makes me realise how much Joseph
Smith went through for this church and
the other early missionaries
for this church. As a missionary I am only
sacrificing a little bit.
10. Mosquitoes! So one night there was one little
mosquito in my
room, but and all my roommates were freaking out about it. We
went on
a mosquito hunt to kill that mosquito. Unfortunately we never
found
it. So instead we covered ourselves with mosquito repellent
and
closed our windows. That made our night miserable because our room
got
really hot. Every time I tell a native of Guatemala that I am going
to
Honduras on my mission they tell me they are so sorry because
Honduras
is so hot. They say that Guatemala is so cold compared to Honduras.
I
guess I should prepare for the heat. I was sorry to here about
the
Boston Marathon. My prayers will be with the victims. I love you.
All
of you are in my prayers. I know that this gospel is true and
Jesus
Christ is my Savior. Till next week. Con Amor, Hermana Lindsey
Orgill.
No comments:
Post a Comment