Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

4/10/2013 Email "The MTC... Guatemala Style"

Hola!
Sorry this email will not have any formatting the enter key does
not work here. Also sorry if my spelling and grammar is poor, I feel
since I have been learning Spanish my English has gone out the window.
So like I said in my last email I arrived in Guatemala about 5:40 in
the morning. That first day they did not let us rest. We worked all
day. The MTC or CCM as they call it here. The MTC is a little
different then I imagined. First all of our instructions, schedules,
and every sign in here is in Spanish. I am finding that I read Spanish
a whole lot better than speaking and listening to it. They speak it so
fast here. My instructor Hermano Solano tells the class that we need
to speak Spanish a whole lot faster or else we sound like Gringos. Oh!
I forgot to tell you who my companion is. Her name is Hermana Palmer.
She is 19 years old and her family currently lives in Rexburg, Idaho.
Though she considers her home to be Orem, Utah or Weezer, Idaho. Her
parents just moved to Rexburg a few months ago. She was attending BYU.
She is a great companion. We work well together because both of us
have a deep desire to follow all the rules. Our schedule at the MTC is
this. We wake up every morning at 6:30 and then get ready and shower.
We have breakfast at 7:30. At 8 we have personal study of the
scriptures and then at 9 we study the language for hour as district.
At 10 until 3:30 we do a variety activities such as planning lessons
for investigators or grammar instruction. Hermano Solano helps us with
those activities. From 3:30 to 5 we workout or play sports. Then we
shower again. At 5 is dinner. From 5:30 to 9:30 we have a variety of
activies. Mostly the consist of preparing to teach lessons,
devotionals, companion study, and companion planning. My instruction
Hermano Solano is very nice. He is from Guatemala and he served a
mission in El Salvador. My district is currently teaching a man name
Brian Ramiraz. He is a college student currently interring at the MTC.
They have a lot of nonmembers working at the MTC at jobs such as
kitchen staff. At first I thought he was fake investigator but he
really is real. I love teaching him. He has such sweet spirit about
him and I can always feel the spirit when we teach him. Actually I
feel the Holy Ghost a lot while I have been here. The Holy Ghost has
truely been my constant companion. We were able to watch conference in
English. I was so grateful for that. The chairs we watched it on were
really hard. But that was probably a good thing because I stayed alert
through the whole thing. I think my favorite talk was either by
President Uctdorf or Elder Holland. Sorry I don´t have any pictures to
send they took everyone's camera away one the first day so they
wouldn´t get stolen. The food here is really good. The only problem is
they give you a ton of food and it is a requirement to eat every bit.
The portions here are huge. Sometimes I opt for a bowl of fruit for a
meal because I am still stuffed from the last meal. They have a
professional chef cooking all the meals. The meals are a mix between
traditional Guatemalan food and American. My favorite thing I have ate
here is the plantans. The driver are crazy here. They are always
cutting people off. Also we hear at least 20 sirens a day. Its really
noisy to sleep here at night. Well I love you and I am missing you.
Con Amor, Hermana Orgill. PS If you send letters via Dear Elder.Com I
receive them faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment