Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

4/15/2013 email "And the investigator becomes the teacher..."


Hola Familia y Amigos! 

I love you and miss you. So you probably
wondering why I am writing you tonight and not on Wednesday. So I
guess that P-day changes each week depending on the schedule. We
either have have P-day on Wednesdays or Tuesdays. So tomorrow would be
my P-day but we are exploring Guatemala tomorrow and we would not have
any time to write so they are allowing me to write to you today. So
remember how I told you about our investigator Brian. Well his name is
really isn't Brian. His name is Hermano Chavez and he is our night
teacher. Last Thursday he revealed this piece of news to our district.
Some of the people in our district were pretty distraught at this news
because we were close to committing him to baptism. I wasn't that
distraught because after I wrote you I started to wonder if he was
really investigator. We are still continuing to teach him as Brian but
then after we teach him he comes into the class room and teaches us
how we can improve as teachers. I guess they have fake investigators
at all the Missionary Training Center (MTC) around the world. 
I want to tell you what Sundays are
like at the MTC. Each Sunday every missionary has to prepare a five
minute talk and five minute lesson. They give us the subjects for the
talks and lessons before hand. Then during district class (Aka Sunday
School) a member of the branch president randomly calls on a
companionship to teach the lesson. This part is not so bad because we
can teach in English. But Sacrament Meeting is a little bit harder. We
have to prepare a whole talk in Spanish. During Sacrament Meeting the
person conducting announces who would be speaking from the pulpit. So
you find out if you are speaking when he announces the program. The
problem yesterday is no one could understand what he was saying
because he had such a strong accent and he was speaking Spanish so
fast. Luckily I didn't have to speak in sacrament meeting or give a
lesson in Sunday school. Actually I didn't get much out of sacrament
meeting yesterday because it was all in Spanish and I could only
understand a few words. Hopefully I will started understanding Spanish
soon! Mom I received two pouch letters and card last Wednesday night.
Thank you so much. I love letters. Especially since I can only check
my email once a week.  If I have time I reread the letters you send me
at night. So don't stop sending letters. I love them!!!! Something
random about living in Guatemala. They call the Americans: Nortes.
They do this because they consider themselves Americans also. Another
random fact there are currently 171 missionaries at the Guatemala MTC.
This is the most missionaries they have ever had here. Last year when
the President Nicolaysen and his wife started serving here there were
only 80 missionaries. Another interesting thing is that there are more
hermanas than there are elders in my district. Mom, a transcript of
your dear elder letter was sent to me. I was able to read it on my
email. So hopefully the MTC will print the letter tonight and give it
to me! The weather in Guatemala has been perfect. They tell us that
the raining season starts in May and that's when the mosquitos come
out. I am not looking forward to that. Oh well that's why I have
repellent. One of the things I look forward to each day is eating ice
cream at dinner or lunch. But the ice cream here is more like ice milk
than ice cream. That's okay. I just wanted to let you know that I know
this church is true. I so glad that I am out here. Missions are
definitely hard and humbling experience but I know I am meant to be
out here. I am doing well. I love you so much! I pray for you every
night and think about you often. Also when the conference issue of the
Ensign comes out could you send it to me. Could you also send me the
conference issue from October conference. I would like to study
conference talks if I ever have some spare time. I hardly ever get
free time at the MTC. I Love you! Con Amor, Hermana Lindsey Orgill

No comments:

Post a Comment