Talk
Next week is Easter. President
Hinckley said, “This
is the Lord’s day, when we celebrate the greatest victory of all time, the
victory over death.” In Alma 22:14 it states, “And since man had fallen
he could not merit anything of himself; but the sufferings and death of Christ
atone for their sins, through faith and repentance, and so forth; and that he
breaketh the bands of death, that the grave shall have no victory, and that the
sting of death should be swallowed up in the hopes of glory…”
Brother and Sisters, Jesus Christ is
our Messiah. He came to earth and suffered for our sins, so that we might be
able to return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father. Since Christ was resurrected nearly 2000 thousand years
ago millions of people have worshipped him. There are numerous sects and
dominations that are dedicated to worshiping Christ. An apostasy occurred after
the deaths of the original apostles
because the authority and keys of the priesthood were taken away from the
earth.
With so many different
churches worshiping Christ, the young Joseph Smith wondered which church was
true. As he was studying the Bible, he came across James 1:5, which states, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask
of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it
shall be given him.” Joseph Smith took this verse to heart. One spring day,
Joseph Smith went into a grove and prayed. The following is his experience in
the grove as written in Joseph Smith history:
“My object in going to inquire of the
Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to
join…I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the
sects was right…I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all
wrong.”
Joseph Smith was given the keys and the
authority to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ back to the earth. This glad
message, that Jesus Christ lives and the power and authority of his gospel is
restored on the earth, is what the missionaries share with the world. In 2
Nephi 2:8 it states, “Wherefore, how great the
importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth,
that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of
God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and
grace of the Holy Messiah…”
As members of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we have been blessed with prophets and Holy
Scriptures that reveal the fullness of the gospel. In Doctrine and Covenants
58: 64 it states, “For, verily, the sound must go forth from this place into
all the world, and unto the uttermost parts of the earth—the gospel must be
preached unto every creature…”With the bestowment of this knowledge comes a
sacred obligation to share it. Whether we are currently a full time missionary,
a student, an employee or a mother, being a missionary is obligation for all of
us.
How can we fulfill this
obligation? President Uchtdorf said, “A favorite saying of mine often
attributed to St. Francis of Assisi reads, ‘Preach the gospel at all times and
if necessary, use words.’ Implicit in this saying is the understanding that
often the most powerful sermons are unspoken.” Others are watching us whether
or not we want them to. Especially being from Utah our neighbors who don’t
belong to this church know the standards as members we commit to living. My mother once was having a visit with a
friend who did not share the same faith. There was also another woman there who
was also LDS. My mother’s friend offered coffee to my mother and the other
woman. The other women accepted the coffee but my mother kindly refused any
coffee. My mother’s friend asked my mother “Is it because you are Mormon that
you didn’t accept the coffee.” My mother replied, “Yes.” Then my mother’s
friend turned to the other woman said, “You’re Mormon, why are you drinking
coffee?”
Lets us strive to live the
council that the Savior gave during the Sermon on the Mount. In Matthew 5:14-16
it states, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot
be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a
candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light
so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father
which is in heaven.”
As important as being a
good example is, as missionaries we must also share the gospel. I’ve often been
too scared to share the gospel, for fear of what others would think of me. Elder
Robert C. Oaks shared this example in the October 2000 general conference:
“Consider that you are
invited to a friend’s house for breakfast. On the table you see a large pitcher
of freshly squeezed orange juice from which your host fills his glass. But he
offers you none. Finally, you ask, ‘Could I have a glass of orange juice?’ He
replies, ‘Oh, I am sorry. I was afraid you might not like orange juice, and I
didn’t want to offend you by offering you something you didn’t desire.’ Now,
that sounds absurd, but it is not too different from the way we hesitate to
offer up something far sweeter than orange juice. I have often worried how I would
answer some friend about my hesitancy when I meet him beyond the veil.”
Romans 1:16 states, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is
the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth…” We have the true
Gospel of Jesus Christ here on earth. Through the ordinances of the gospel we
can be redeemed through our Savior Jesus Christ. I know sharing the gospel is
hard but the we knowledge we gain from it is of the upmost importance. President
Monson gave this promise for those of us who our shy and might be scared to
share it, “Now, some of you may be shy by nature or consider yourselves
inadequate to respond affirmatively to the call to serve. Remember that this is
the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the
Lord’s help. The Lord will shape the back to bear the burden placed upon it.”
When Brother Folkman gave
me the topic for me to speak on he also wanted me to share briefly why I wanted
to go on a mission. I’ve been thinking about going on a mission for a while. But
before I made my decision I wanted to make sure I was going for the right
reasons and that it was the right path for me. I spent months pondering and
praying about the decision. I would pray and feel like it was good choice and
then I would pray again I would feel nothing. One of my faults is that I will
receive an answer to my prayer and then tend to second-guess my answer. Then
last fall I thought I made the right decision for me. I applied for student
teaching for fall of 2013 and I thought that’s what I should be doing. Then in
the first week in October, I came home for General Conference. During first
session of general conference, President Monson made the announcement about the
age change for missionaries. Although the age change for missionaries didn’t
affect me, for I would be 21 before I could leave, I knew in the instance that
I needed to go. I want to make something clear that I realize looking back on
my experience, that God answered my prayers earlier about going on mission
earlier, but I doubted the answer.
The Lord’s work is going
forward with speed. Whether we are fulltime missionaries or the nursery leader
we have a responsibility to share this gospel.
No comments:
Post a Comment